Although this traditional Dehli curry is usually made with butter (hence the name), swapping out the butter for low fat yoghurt still gives it the same creamy taste, but with lower calories and fat, which still all of the flavours from the herbs and spices.
Just quickly, before you check out the recipe, if you want to be kept up to date on more delicious and healthy recipes like this, then please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds) and you will get sent the new recipes straight to your inbox. Your email address won’t be passed on to anyone and you will never be spammed. Click here to sign up
Instead of serving this curry with rice, I have gone with cauliflower “rice”. It is not that I think that there is anything wrong with rice, not at all, but when it is the bed for a dish, you can’t really taste it anyway, so to me it seems a waste. I love rice when it is the star of a dish, like risotto, but other than that I usually make this healthier alternative. Simply boil up cauliflower and then mash it. You can use this as an alternative to mashed potato too. A great way to get extra vegetables in to your diet.
This meal freezes really well, so it is definitely one for batch cooking and then portioning it out to freeze for quick and healthy meals in the week.
Ingredients – Serves 2:
– 2 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into strips
– 6 tbsp low fat yoghurt
– 1 tin chopped tomatoes
– 1 onion, finely chopped.
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 1 inch piece of root ginger
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 3 cardamom pods
– 3 cloves
– 1 tbsp Garam masala
– 1 tsp Chili powder
– 1 tsp chopped red chilli
– 1 bay leaf
– 1 tsp cumin seeds
– 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
1) Grill the chicken until cooked through. Cut into strips and put to one side.
2) Crush the garlic and ginger with a little oil and a pinch of rock salt.
3) Spray a large frying pan with oil then fry the garlic/ginger paste until golden brown. Add the onion until cooked.
4) Add the tomatoes, cardamom, bay leaf, cloves and cumin seeds. Cook for for 10 minutes.
5) Add Garam Masala and Chili powder to taste, cook for a further 10 minutes.
6) Slowly add the yoghurt and stir until mixed together.
7) Add the chicken strips and cook until the chicken is heated.