Last updated on July 27th, 2019 at 04:11 pm
40 seems like an age where we should have experienced things, lived a little, and have all the stories to tell. So, I am setting myself a before 40 bucket list to make sure that when I turn 40 I don’t stress about it, but instead think I have had a pretty good life.
Hopefully my list will give you some inspiration for some things to add to your own things to do before 40. Here is my Before 40 Bucket List
Before 40 Bucket List
(or 30, 50, 60 etc. Set your own time frame)
Things to do before 40:
1) See the Northern Lights ✓
We were lucky enough to see the northern lights when we were in Iceland last year. The first night we went out looking for them it was too cloudy, but the second night the clouds broke and behind them were streaks of green and blue of the Northern Lights.
The lights didn’t bounce across the sky like you are led to believe, but it was still the most magical thing I have ever seen, even though it was FREEZING!
2) Do 10 different ziplines
The photo above was from my first zip lining experience in Mexico. I did it upside down. We have only done two so far (or 3 if you count a mini one at a children’s farm), but the ones in Mexico and Jamaica were pretty epic. The next on the list is the longest zip wire in the U.K.
3) Order everything off the menu at a restaurant (it will be a small menu)
4) Celebrate New Year’s Eve in a different country
5) Speak Spanish to a good standard
6) Buy a house abroad
7) Do a Tough Mudder event
8) Eat at 5 out of the best 100 restaurants in the world
9) Eat at 20 of the best restaurants in the UK
10) Enjoy a bottle of wine that costs more than £50
11) Run a 5km (if I stop getting injured) ✓
I ran my first 5km race at the Race For Life. It wasn’t the best one to start with, as there were lots of hills and it was an emotional day raising money for a cancer charity, but it was a great day and I got a personal best too.
12) Go wild swimming
13) Go on safari (preferably to South Africa)
14) Publish a book ✓
In January 2016, Hungry Healthy Happy the book was published. It was one of the most difficult and most rewarding things I have done. To see your recipes in print is so strange. Thanks to everyone that has bought a copy. If you haven’t, it’s available in all good book stores and on Amazon. (aff)
Then, in 2018 my second book was published. It’s called The Healthy Slow Cooker and is full of 100 recipes that show the slow cooker is more than just meat stews. Nachos, burritos, chai lattes, lean beef curries, mac and cheese – they can all be done in the slow cooker. Head over to Amazon to order a copy! (aff)
15) See all 50 states
So far I have been to 31. It would have been more after my trip a couple of years ago, but I had to cut my trip short due to illness. You can read about my various US trips below, in number 35.
16) Travel across part of Europe by train.
17) Break a habit
18) Read a book in one sitting
19) Visit every continent
This one might take the next 5 years, but 3 down (Europe, North America and Asia), 4 to go. Antarctica may be tricky though!
20) Go on a skiing holiday with friends
21) Sing at an open mic night
22) Be able to do an unassisted pull-up
23) Have a signature dish ✓
My signature dish is a fridge raid pasta. I have a skill for taking ingredients that are on their way out and making them in to a tasty and comforting pasta dish. No waste and a delicious meal. Why not have a look at all the HHH recipes?
24) Go for high tea ✓
My friend, Claire, took me for high tea on my 30th birthday when she saw that it was on my Bucket List.
25) Start a retirement fund
We have a savings account now, if that counts.
26) Watch IMDB’s top 250 films
I’ve only watched 49 of them so far, so this might take a while to complete! And, it’s changing all the time, which makes it harder!
27) Go on a road trip around Scotland
28) Be debt free (apart from a mortgage)
29) Do the Three Peaks Challenge
30) Go to a drive-in movie theatre
31) Climb a mountain
32) Go on the longest zipwire in the UK
33) Shower in a waterfall
34) Sleep under the stars
35) Go on road trip across the states ✓
– In 2008, I spent 2 weeks travelling with my dad by car through New England, visiting Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, New York State, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and back into New York (Manhattan).
My dad then flew home and I carried on across the States for another 8 weeks, visiting Maryland, Florida, Illinois, Washington State, Oregon, California, Nevada and Hawaii.
– A year later I returned with a friend and travelled by train from New York to California via Illinois, going through Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona.
36) Donate blood
37) Island hop round Greece ✓
We did this in 2016 as our “babymoon” and it was one of the best holidays we have ever had. Starting in Athens, we then went to Mykonos, Ios and Santorini. We should have gone to Paros and Antiparos too, but we got stuck in Mykonos due to a transport strike.
38) See the New Wonders of the World
I’ve seen the Colosseum in Rome, so just the Great Wall of China; Petra in Jordan; Chichen Itza in Mexico; Machu Picchu in Peru; The Taj Mahal in India and Christ The Redeemer in Brazil to go!
39) Sleep in a haunted house
40) Celebrate St Patrick’s day in Ireland
41) Fly 1st class
42) Feed an elephant ✓
We did this in Thailand and it was incredible. I am hugely against animal tourism and riding elephants in places like Thailand. You can go to animal recuse centres, where animals are rescued from places where tourists ride them and they are abused. It was so sad, but amazing to see them now so happy.
We got to feed them, wash them and play with them in the water. That’s so much better than just sitting on them whilst they are prodded to move.
43) Go to Oktoberfest
44) Stand-up paddle boarding ✓
I did this in Thailand too. It was my birthday on the island of Koh Samui and we hired a paddle board for the afternoon and I paddled up and down the coast. It was much easier than I thought it was going to be and I didn’t fall off once.
45) See the sunset in Santorini ✓
Santorini is famous of its sunsets and they didn’t disappoint. The only trouble is, everyone wants to see them and the look out points are packed with hundreds and hundreds of people. Luckily we had our own hot tub on a balcony that looked straight over the sunset. Bliss!
46) Read a life changing book
47) Meet a penguin
48) Take a hot air balloon ride
49) Learn to drive
50) Meet an alpaca ✓
I am alpaca obsessed. One day, on our way to visit Dave’s mum, he surprised me with a trip to an alpaca farm where we got to feed them. They are such hilarious animals and very slobbery too – hence the expression on my face!
51) Ride a Segway ✓
We did this in Rome and unlike paddle boarding, this was much harder than I thought it would be. My balance is not great and I was all over the place. I nearly drove in to a police car on a roundabout.
52) Complete a triathlon
53) See Foo Fighters in concert
54) Go white water rafting ✓
I did this in The Alps and it was terrifying, but in the best possible way. I didn’t fall in the water, but I felt like I was going to fly out of the raft many times. Definitely one for strong swimmers.
55) Have a baby ✓
In November 2016, we welcomed our beautiful daughter Avery in to the world. There is still so many things I want to do, but I love that I will now get to do most of them with her, or with her watching – hopefully giving her inspiration for her own list. Now we have baby 2 on the way too!
56) Rent an apartment abroad for a month or two.
57) Go on a digital detox
58) Go on a spa day and pamper myself
59) Spend at least 50 nights camping/glamping (in total – not all in one go)
4 nights at Camp Bestival
2 nights in Peak District, Derbyshire
2 nights glamping in Sussex
3 nights at Camp Bestival
2 nights at Catgill
60) Go to 10 Festivals
Camp Bestival x 2
Download x 1
61) Explore the North East coast of England
62) Raise £1000 for charity
|Do you want to be kept up to date on more posts like this Before 40 Bucket List? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds).|
Click here to sign up.
Do you have a bucket list? Let us know what is on it in the comments below, we love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious recipe ideas, behind the scenes shots and also what we are getting up to.
* This post contains affiliate links *