These easy Italian Roasted Vegetables are bursting with fresh flavour from tomatoes, courgette (zucchini) and aubergine (eggplant), and then all brought together with the Italian flavours from the olive oil, basil, oregano, thyme and garlic. A really simple side dish to go with any Italian main.
Italian Roasted Vegetables
These Italian Roasted Vegetables are one of our favourite side dished to make. Just a few of your favourite vegetables and then a really simple Italian dressing and then all roasted up to tender perfection in the oven. Serve them with grilled salmon or chicken for an easy and flavour packed meal.
Why should you try it?
✔ A really easy and simple side dish
✔ Easy to adapt with whatever vegetables you have
✔ Great for feeding a crowd and making a big batch
✔ Freezes well
✔ Just ??? calories a portion
What Vegetable Can You Use?
The great thing about this recipe is that you can use almost any vegetable – it’s a great fridge raid meal so there is now waste. We think this meal lends itself perfectly to root vegetables like carrots and potatoes along with some bell peppers, mushrooms, courgette, aubergine and tomatoes.
But you could add cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato or parsnips too. Leafy greens wouldn’t work, but other than that the recipe is easy to adapt.
This easy side dish is all about the delicious Italian marinade. A simple mixture of some Italian flavours that you probably already have in your cupboard, and you have yourself an easy and flavour packed marinade that just brings these vegetables to life.
Some excellent quality olive oil and lemon juice is mixed with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, thyme and basil and then poured over the vegetables and then mixed together before roasting. It doesn’t get easier than that. This recipe is heavy on the garlic, like all recipes should be in our opinion, but feel free to use less.
You could take the Italian flavours one step further and grate some parmesan (or a vegetarian hard cheese alternative) over them just before serving.
What Other Seasoning Can You Use?
If you fancy a change from an Italian seasoning, then why not try a Mexican or Cajun season blend to give these vegetables a bit of a kick. They would then go really well in tacos or burritos.
How Long To Roast Vegetables For?
The time needed to roast vegetables really depends on what vegetables you are using. If you are just using soft vegetables like pepper, onion, courgette, tomatoes and aubergine then they will only need about 30 minutes.
However, if you are using root vegetables like potato, carrot, parsnips or beetroot then they will take about 40-60 minutes. Which is why we roast the potatoes for 30 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. The bigger you chop your vegetables the longer they will take to cook. Speed up the cooking time by chopping your vegetables in to smaller pieces.
The best pans to use for roasting vegetables are:
What To Serve Italian Roasted Vegetables With
This is such a versatile side dish that you can serve it with anything. Because it has so much flavour we like to keep it simple and serve it with grilled chicken or salmon, or a big green salad. But if you aren’t including potatoes in this dish, then these vegetables go really well with plain spaghetti.
How To Store and Reheat Italian Roasted Vegetables
Not only are these a really easy side dish to make, but they are ideal for batch cooking and then keeping in your fridge to add to meals throughout the week. You could even just keep all the vegetables chopped up in the fridge and then roast them fresh when you want them.
These vegetables will keep fresh in the fridge for about 4 days. They can be eaten cold, however if you want to reheat them then you can put them back in the oven for 10 minutes or sauté them in a pan for a couple of minutes. Microwaving is also an option, but they tend to go a bit soggy.
- Try to use the best quality olive oil you can – you will really be able to taste the difference.
- Take the Italian flavours one step further and grate some parmesan (or a vegetarian hard cheese alternative) over them just before serving.
- Try to chop all your vegetables the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Make sure the vegetables are mixed well with the marinade. You want to make sure that all the vegetables are evenly coated.
- You can save some calories in this dish by using less oil, but we think they key to the delicious flavour is using a generous amount of oil.
- Roasted vegetables are always best cooked on a high heat.
- Make sure you use a large pan, so the vegetables aren’t too crowded and close together. Make sure they are in a single layer as you want them to get nice and crispy. If you don’t have a big enough pan, then use two. We love these ???????? (amazon link)
- Speed up the cooking time by chopping your vegetables in to smaller pieces.
- Add a bit of freshness to the dish by sprinkling some chopped fresh parsley or basil on top before serving.
How To Make Italian Roasted Vegetables – step by step:
Want to try some other vegetables recipes? How about these:
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
Roasted Vegetable Winter Salad
Mustard and Honey Roasted Parsnips
Cheesy Baked Broccoli Bites
Creamy Broccoli Soup
Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Spring Green Noodles
Super Greens Loaded Potato Skins
|Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious posts like this? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds).|
Click here to sign up.
If you’ve tried this Italian Roasted Vegetables or any other recipe on the blog then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you!
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THE RECIPE ↓
Italian Roasted Vegetables
- 1 courgette (zucchini)
- 1 aubergine (eggplant)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 8 new potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper
- 8 mushrooms
- Slice all the ingredients and put them in a roasting dish.
- Drizzle over the oil and spinkle over the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Put in the oven at 200C/390F for 45 minutes.