Last updated on August 12th, 2019 at 02:56 pm
Try something different with your next slow cooker recipe. This Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken is easy, nutritious and full of flavour.
The weather has really changed recently, so why not pretend you are in the Caribbean by eating some Caribbean food? We are planning on going to Jamaica next month, so we preparing ourselves by eating some jerk chicken. Although I have never eaten jerk chicken in Jamaica before, we live in a Caribbean community than makes some REALLY good jerk chicken, so my recipe had a lot to live up to.
It was actually a lot easier to create the authentic flavour than I thought and it is really healthy. I used chicken breast, just to keep it lean, but your can use thighs or legs if you want.
How to make Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken – serves 2:
Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken
For the jerk chicken:
- 150 g chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 limes (juice only)
- 30 g fresh ginger grated
- 4 spring onions (scallions)
- 2 scotch bonnet chillies
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato puree (tomato paste)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp rum (optional, but it tastes even better this way)
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 100 ml water
For the rice:
- 100 g brown rice
- 0.5 mango chopped
- 80 g black beans cooked
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 lime (juice only)
- Put the olive oil, lime juice, ginger, spring onions (scallions), chillies, mustard seeds, salt and pepper, vinegar, garlic, thyme, tomato puree/tomato pasta, honey, rum (if using), all spice and cayenne in a food processor and blend until smooth. If you don’t have one, then use a pestle and mortar.
- Chop your chicken breasts into chunks and put in your slow cooker.
- Pour over the jerk sauce and add the water.
- Put the lid on and cook in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- Cook the brown rice when the chicken has 30 minutes left (add the carrot to the rice 10 minutes before the end)
- When the chicken is cooked, take the rice off and drain and mix in the chopped mango, beans and lime juice.
- Serve the chicken on a bed of rice.