These healthy vegan sweet potato and black bean tacos are lightly spiced with Mexican flavours and are topped with fresh avocado and some salsa. They are so easy and they're delicious and nutritious!
This is the first recipe of 2013, so why not make it a vegan one?! I am certainly not going vegan - I have tried before and it just wasn't for me, but I can definitely see the benefits of eating vegan and vegetarian meals a couple of times a week.
It almost feels strange getting into a routine of cooking proper meals again, after having a couple of weeks of a lot of leftovers and party food and way too much snacking. I must say, I am enjoying real meals that are full of vegetables.
This might seem a bit carb heavy, but it was perfect for us yesterday and we really pushed ourselves in the gym, so we needed something like this. Instead of sweet potato, you could use butternut squash and if you didn't want the tortilla, you could use lettuce wraps instead - this recipe is really easy to adapt.
How to make Black Bean Tacos - Serves 2:
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- 300 g small sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp black beans
- 2 wholewheat tortillas
- 100 g kale
- 2 large tomatoes
- 0.5 avocado
- 0.5 red onion
- 1 lime (juice only)
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into cubes and put in a bowl with the olive oil, garlic, chilli and paprika and mix together. Put on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 220C/400F for 45 minutes, stirring twice.
- Cook the kale in boiling water for 2 minutes, just to soften it and then drain.
- Heat the beans in a pan.
- Make the avocado salsa by dicing the avocado, tomato and red onion and adding the coriander and lime juice.
- Make your tacos by adding some of the kale to your tortilla, top with some beans, some sweet potato and then some salsa.
- Don't like kale? You can use spinach or cabbage instead.