This dish is more herbs than grains, but that is definitely not a bad thing. Tabbouleh is a vibrant Middle Eastern dish that can be eaten with just about anything. It should be a staple at any BBQ or picnic too.
Although traditionally it is made with bulgar wheat, you could use couscous, rice or pearl barley or any other grain instead if you don’t have bulgar wheat on hand.
It makes great leftovers as well, so if you want to double the ingredients, you can serve it with meals for a couple of days after.
Tabbouleh, Tabouleh or Tabouli?
It doesn’t matter how you spell it, it is still a delicious dish!
How to make Tabbouleh – Serves 4:
- 50 g bulgur wheat
- 50 g fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh mint finely chopped
- 1 small red onion diced
- 3 large tomatoes diced
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- Put the bulgur wheat in a bowl and add enough boiling water so it is covering it all and then leave for 20 minutes.
- Stir the bulgur wheat with a fork and then add all the other ingredients and mix well.
Want to make sure you never miss a Hungry Healthy Happy post? Make sure you have subscribed by clicking here.
Instagram: search the username hungryhealthyhappy
Get the RSS feed here