One thing that everyone should know how to make is the BEST Creamy Mashed Potatoes. Smooth (or with lumps if that is what you like) and creamy potatoes are a classic side dish that are so easy to make. Really versatile, as you can serve them with anything, and you can even repurpose leftovers. This recipe also includes 15 ways to flavour mashed potatoes.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
We are potato lovers. Or potato obsessed that should be. If we had to choose one thing to eat for the rest of our lives, it would probably be potatoes because there is so much to do with them. But mashed potatoes might be our favourite.
Smooth and creamy mashed potatoes is total comfort food. It reminds me of being a kid and getting to mash the potatoes myself and then smothering them with gravy. I have spent the past 20 years perfecting this mashed potato and sharing all my tips here.
Why should you try it?
✔ A creamy and delicious side
✔ Ready in just 30 minutes
✔ Family friendly
✔ Easy to adapt
✔ Can be frozen
How To Make Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Fluffy, rich and velvety mashed potatoes is exactly what you will find here. But what is the secret? No secret, but plenty of butter! Sorry if you were looking for a healthy mashed potato recipe, as this is deliciously indulgent.
To get that rich and creamy flavour, we have used lashings of butter, and a dollop of creme fraiche too.
Mash Potato Add-ins
- Add a punch of garlic by roasting a bulb of garlic first and then adding that to the mash.
- If you want to add some extra fibre to this side, then you can mash them skin on.
- Cream cheese (garlic, herb, or plain all work)
- Fresh herbs (chives and parsley are nice and fresh, but woody herbs like thyme and rosemary are delicious too)
- Onions: shallots, spring onions, brown onion. You can add these to the water when cooking, or just chop and mash in.
- Olive oil: use this instead of butter for a creamy vegan mashed potato
- Add some veg by cooking some cauliflower with the potatoes and mashing them together. This works with parsnip and carrot too.
- Cheese and chopped cooked bacon – total comfort food
- A spoonful of pesto in mashed potato is amazing.
- Like things spicy? Add a spoonful of chipotle paste. It makes it a great colour too.
- Add some greens with some finely chopped spinach.
- A pinch of smoked paprika adds lots of flavour.
- Another vegan way to make creamy potatoes is with hummus.
- A spoonful of horseradish is another way to make it spicy.
- For some Spanish flavour, add some chopped cooked chorizo.
What Potatoes To Use For Mashed Potato?
Floury and fluffy potatoes like Maris Piper and King Edwards are best for mashing. Desiree potatoes also make delicious creamy mash. You want to avoid waxy potatoes, as these are difficult to mash as they hold together well.
How To Make Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Potatoes are naturally vegan, however the creamy additions we have used aren’t. But there are still lots of ways to make creamy vegan mashed potatoes. You can add a splash of almond milk and a spoonful of plant based butter alternative. You can also use olive oil or hummus to make it creamy.
Can You Freeze Mashed Potatoes?
Yes, mashed potato freezes really well. Of course it will always taste better fresh, but it is definitely freezeable. Once mashed and cooled down, put them in to freezer bags, flatten down and then lay flat in the freezer. You can keep it there for about 2 months. Defrost them at room temperature (this will take around 6 hours).
To reheat the mashed potato, put it in a pan with a little more milk and butter to stop it drying out and heat through, stiring regularly.
What To Do With Leftover Mashed Potato
It’s not a problem we usually have in our house, as we can eat a lot of mashed potato. But, if you make too much, then the leftovers can be used to mashed potato “cakes”.
Simply mix the mashed potato with some cheese, eggs and milk and form in to patties. Fry them in a little oil for 3-4 minutes each side until nice and crispy.
The leftovers could be used as the topping for a pie, or you could make croquettes or gnocchi with it. Lots of options.
How To Make Creamy Mashed Potatoes – Step by Step:
One: Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 13-15 minutes. The time depends on the size you have chopped the potatoes.
Two: Drain and mash the potatoes and then add the milk, butter and creme fraiche and season.
Three: Serve topped with chives and chopped spring onions (scallions); (optional)
Why not try some of our other side dish recipes:
|Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious posts like this? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds).|
Click here to sign up.
If you’ve tried these Creamy Mashed Potatoes please leave a comment below, we love hearing from you!
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THE RECIPE ↓
The BEST Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 1 kg Maris Piper potatoes peeled and chopped
- 30 ml full fat milk
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 75 g butter chopped
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 13-15 minutes. The time depends on the size you have chopped the potatoes.
- Drain and mash the potatoes and then add the milk, butter and creme fraiche and season.
- Serve topped with chives and chopped spring onions (scallions); (optional)